Monday, June 9, 2008

MMO Crazy

So as many know. I am a rather large fan of the MMO World of Warcraft. I currently reside on the Horde side of the Ysera Server. My main character being Malvash the level 70 Holy Paladin.
I realized that I have been playing this game since the Winter of 2004. Now really if you think about it. That's a REALLY long time to be focused on a single game. Even with fairly large games. The most you would spend on them is say a few months before A. You get tired of it or B. you beat it and there's nothing new.
Yet honestly to me, WoW is really boring. Like.. REALLY REALLY boring at times. Being a support class, all I normally have to do is stand in the back and hit a few buttons so no one dies. And atleast until the new expansion comes out (most likely next fall) there wont be anything I haven't seen. And even when it does come out, really it wont be anything super spectacular are not part of the standard formula of kill this thing, get shinier stuff.
So why keep playing?
There isn't too much in terms of instant gratification towards the "End Game" Content. Things come at a slow pace.
I think its because it preys on my two weaknesses. I like good art direction, and I like social aspects of games.
If it doesn't have those two things, I won't even bother giving it a chance. For example, the new Age of Conan MMO has INFINITELY more to do in WoW. To the point where its a little overwhelming and ridiculous. But really there is no art direction to it at all. It's brown and butt ugly and I don't really care for it at all. I mean really. If you're going to make me play a game for the rest of my life. Atleast make it look interesting.
Secondly the social aspect. I like having other people to cheer me on and vice versa. Even something ridiculously meaningless like "Hey I got Blah Blah Blah finally!" and someone going GRATZ or GOOD JOB. Makes getting that said Blah Blah Blah so much more rewarding. I would much rather do something boring and get some gratitude then to get the Ultima Weapon in some random single player RPG, just because the only person who will know and care is me. I get it, I move on to the rest of the game.
So hopefully the future of MMO's will be a little shinier. Already improvements are being seen. Warhammer Online looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it out!

No comments: