Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I think misunderstanding is probably one of the most devastating things to any relationship.
As many of you know, I have recently broken up with someone of 4 years.
I believed our relationship was becoming stagnant.
We were to the point where both of us did not want to say anything just because it would cause uncomfort.
We fought over the same things for the past 4 years. We began a cycle of,

Hey we're ok.
Hey we're not ok.
Hey lets fight and yell and hate eachother for a week.

Rinse and repeat.

I feel like a horrible person for instigating this.
But I did what I felt was best for both of us.

Our main issues?

I am horribly insecure with myself. I take everything she says about me seriously. I felt demoralized by here because physical appearance, to be hip, is so high on her totem pole.
I also know and have been hospitalized for mental disorders. I have a system going. I know what my emotional limits are. And I know that if I cross that line, there is no turning back. I worked hard to become stable.
She knows my quirks on shutting myself off, she is simply not accepting of them.

If I get angry, I give people the silent treatment. I know I will say things I don't mean.
I know that I have to let go of things I care about quickly or i'll dig myself into a hole I can't get out of.

I am also an extremely uptight person. I don't like going out, I don't like drinking, crowded places make me nervous.
She was the complete opposite.
I have learned from my mistakes and i'm trying to be more outgoing.

I have tried to be civil in our transition.
But it's difficult because we both don't know what we're doing. Living under the same roof still doesn't help either.
For the first time in my life..

I really don't know what to do.

No comments: